Saturday, June 20, 2009

What I would tell my grandma.

My grandma died yesterday. I watched most of the day as the life seemed to fade from her body.

My Grandma Glanville taught me so much in my life, but the more I reflect on her life and her example I realize that there was one clear message, "There is nothing more important than family and religion." My grandma would do anything she was asked to in the name of her family or her God.
Grandma taught by example. When she was well, she was always (and I mean ALWAYS) baking cookies or breads, or something else delicious to give to her kids and her grandkids. After my grandpa died, grandma kept busy by making us her delicious treats. Her house will always smell like brown sugar and love.
I remember cherishing my time with her...both as a child and as an adult. Grandma loved all of her kids and grandchildren so much. There are so many memories she made with each of us. My favorites were when we would play "The old lady and the broom," or when we would have spook allys in her basement. I especially loved all of the family parties. Grandma's house was the gathering spot for most celebrations growing up.
Once when grandma was in her 70s, she came to Lagoon with our family. I remember that I wanted to go on the roller coaster so badly, but no one else wanted to go. Grandma said "C'mon Lauralee, I'll ride the roller coaster with you!" I will never forget the look on her face as we descended that first hill. She screamed the entire ride....as I think about it now, it still makes me smile.
In her later years when she could no longer care for herself, she came to stay with my mom. I will always be thankful for that time she spent there. My boys got to really know their "Grandma Great"
We got to be with her and cherish her in her final years, what a blessing!
Grandma was the queen of service. No matter how much she gave to all of us in her life, it was hard for her to finally accept the help of her family, but what a blessing it was to us!
When I got divorced, it was Grandma that let me stay in her beautiful house. It was such a wonderful place of healing for me and it was so great for me to make memories with my boys in a place that still holds such a special place in my heart.

Her final message to all of our family was to tell us all to always be close to the Lord and our church.

What would I tell her if I could say anything to her now?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Thank you for the unconditional love and acceptance, thank you for your wonderful example, your service, and your unwaivering testimony. Thank you for being my Grandma!

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! She sounds like an amazing woman. How great that your children got to know her and have memories of her! I wish you and your family the best of everything!

Mimi said...

oh Lauralee, I am sorry for your loss. Your grandma sounds so very amazing! What love and caring she gave you all. Thanks for sharing her with us thru this post. :)

THE BIBBER BLOG said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother. It was fun to know her through your mother. Our prayers are with your family that you might have peace and comfort.
Love, Manja

Hykel said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandma. I lost my Grandma about a month before you. (May) I have felt a lot of the same feelings you did. Even now its a comfort to me to know that other people have gone through the same thing I did.
I love that your boys called her Grandma Great.
My Grandma also had great faith. I am trying to follow the example she set.