Thursday, May 21, 2009

Inspiration





A few weeks ago, a friend of mine posted on her blog Aleida's Challenge, Which in essence is for mothers to take pictures with their children. She said that children never look back at pictures of their mothers and say "Wow, she looks fat." or "She isn't wearing makeup." Instead, they look at the photos with love. Aleida died unexpectedly and left her family with lots of photos of her and her children.
As I attended the funeral of my cousin, I noticed that there were tons of beautiful pictures of Jen and her son and husband. Maybe because she struggled with cancer for three years she had the perspective of what's important.
I have been inspired by both women and their dedication to leave a legacy of memories for their children. I am committing now to take and post pictures of my family and I once a month.
Anyone who would like to join me can post links in the comments section.

5 comments:

Keri said...

Good idea, I'm going to try this!!!

Blondie said...

All it takes is the perspective of losing someone close to you, to realize the value in a photograph.

I lost a dear friend of mine 13 years ago (whom Brit is now named for) and discovered to my horror that I had not one picture of us together. Ultimately it set into motion my current photo facination. I didn't want to ever find another moment when I didn't have a photo to remember someone I loved by. Now.. I think people just know that "I've always got a camera"

I cheer on this new behavior.

Tammy said...

Hi! I'm Traci's sister, she told me about your blog and I am a fan!
This is such a great idea! I have maybe 1 picture of me with my children. I'm definately inspired to make some memories with me in the picture!

KatieLarson said...

Thank you for this post. I usually try to avoid taking pictures unless I "feel pretty". But I have already noticed that most of my pictures are of my son and husband...and not of me. Thank you for reminding me what having kids is all about...the love and the memories.

Hykel said...

Over and over I have these situations where I need a picture of the two of us. Over and over again I have to go back to our engagement or wedding pictures. Now that we're coming up on 3 years those really can't be considered accurate. ;)
I highly recommend a tripod. You can get them for pretty cheap. Setting the timer and running to get into the picture always creates the best smiles & funny shots.
Good job goal setting!