Friday, October 17, 2008

Hover Technique

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm kind of a freak. As a result of my short career as a CNA, there are certain things that completely germ me out. One of them is a public restroom. To top off my already crappy day yesterday, I get to school (so late) as a result of the warrant that I had to get discharged or whatever. I get to school and my first thought is "Dang it, I need to pee." Now, inspite of being well versed in the "hover technique" where you don't actually rest your bottom on the toilet seat, I still hate using a public restroom, so I thought to myself, "Eh, it's only 3 more hours, I can hold it." Well, 20 minutes into class, I realized that my bladder was not going to be able to hold up for another 2 hours 40 minutes. I get into the orange 70's themed women's bathroom and make a nest of toilet paper on the seat, just incase my hover technque is flawed...and incase there was a chance my bottom could make contact with the toilet seat below. I pull my pants down and then it happened. Nearly $1.50 in change and my cell phone flew out of my pocket and onto the bathroom floor. I actually screamed. Now, honestly the handfull of change was not worth it to me, as I left it sitting in the middle of the nastiness known as the bathroom floor. I did take a peice of toilet paper and wrap it around said "bathroom floor cell phone" the dang thing is a LG phone (like iphone) and was over $300, so hardly disposable. I used a piece of toilet paper to pick it up. I wrapped it in the paper and used hand sanitizer to wipe it down when I got to class. My teacher was totally mocking me when he said, "I have some alcohol wipes in my desk, would you like a few?" I said "YES!" SO then I wiped the phone down with those..but every time I use it now, I feel like there are nasty MRSA (staph) bugs crawling on my face. My friend Traci called while I was in class, and I related my story and told her I felt like I needed to use hand sanitizer to wipe down my face. She laughed and said "That's weird." So today, I got a text message from Traci that made me laugh. All it said was "I dropped my cell phone on the floor in the bathroom today and I thought of you." I sent her a text back that said "What did you do?" her reply "Nothing, who cares" The tragedy is...I do. (and if she decides to use them, I have a ready supply of alcohol wipes)

2 comments:

The Greens said...

I just have to say that I laughed my head off when I read this post. You are so cute!! I think I would have used alcohol wipes too...Yucky public bathrooms.

Mimi said...

Can I just say this gave me quite a laugh! I gotta say I feel the same way about those public restrooms. I have always used the hover technique but until now I didn't have a name for it... well your name is so catchy I am going to adopt it... lol. And I have to admit if my phone dropped on the floor there... I would have done EXACTLY the same thing! Ahh... Lauralee, thank you for always bringing a smile to my day with your clever writings! I love it!
Mimi