Saturday, October 4, 2008

Political Correctness and other things that irritate me!

Apparently the word "retarded" is offensive to some readers of this blog. To the reader who posted the comment reguarding her disabled child...I apologize if my comments were offensive...HOWEVER (and this is a big fat however) the "r" word does not specifically refer to those with disabilities. According to American Heritage Dictionary, the "r" word is defined as follows:

re·tard 1 (rĭ-tärd') Pronunciation Key
v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards

v. tr.
To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.

v. intr.
To be delayed.

n.
A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
Music A slackening of tempo.

When I was in Junior high school, I was a peer tutor to a disabled student. Michelle and I are still friends and I would never refer to her as retarded. That would be cruel. I do have a soft spot in my heart for those with physical and mental development delays. I think they are some of the Lord's most treasured souls. I think using the "r" word to describe a child or adult with an actual disability is not only cruel, but also unfair. I think the "slang" use of the word is the only appropriate use of the word. I am fully cognatively aware...I did something dumb...which at the moment made me delayed. I cannot think of a more appropriate use of the word. It is far more hurtful when describing those who are actually disabled.
Now on to political correctness. I am sick of people talking about their right to bare arms because it's their constitutional right. I have the same right of free speech guaranteed to me by the constitution! Now today, people are so afraid to offend others that we dance around the issues.
The top thing that bug me...
1. Thin people who whine to fat people that they (the thin person) are too fat. I actually hear this often. Another favorite of mine is people talking about people who are "fat" but who are smaller than me. That is awesome.
Do I ever say anything to these thinner/ruder individuals about their ignorance or lack of taste when making these comments to me? No never. The thing is...they have a right to say and feel however they want. I am good with Lauralee. I really find it tragic they can't be happy in their own skin.
Back to the term retarded. Being offended by the word retarded because you have a disabled child is like me being offended by the term "phat" (pronounced fat).
Words and meanings of words change as our society changes. Look at the word "gay" and how it has changed over the past 30 years.
If that mother chooses to define her disabled child as retarded, that is her choice. It's not a decision I would cognatively make. I respect her rights as a parent and her freedom of speech.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Okay all I have to say is AMEN SISTER! :)