Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Daddy!

My bishop read this in sacrament meeting and I just wanted to share it because it really does reflect the parent child relationship.
I did change one word (to prevent swearing)

My Daddy
By Ann Landers

W hen I was 4 years old: My daddy can do anything.
W hen I was 5 years old: My daddy knows a whole lot.
W hen I was 6 years old: My dad is smarter than your dad.
W hen I was 8 years old: My dad doesn't know exactly everything.
W hen I was 10 years old: In the olden days, when my dad grew up, things were sure different.
W hen I was 12 years old: Oh, well, naturally, Dad doesn't know anything about that. He is too old to remember his childhood.
W hen I was 14 years old: Don't pay any attention to my dad. He is so old-fashioned.
W hen I was 21 years old: Him? My goodness, he's hopelessly out of date.
W hen I was 25 years old: Dad knows about it, but then he should, because he has been around so long.
W hen I was 30 years old: Maybe we should ask Dad what he thinks. After all, he's had a lot of experience.
W hen I was 35 years old: I'm not doing a single thing until I talk to Dad.
W hen I was 40 years old: I wonder how Dad would have handled it. He was so wise.
W hen I was 50 years old: I'd give anything if Dad were here now so I could talk this over with him. Too bad I didn't appreciate how smart he was. I could have learned a lot from him.


I just wanted to take a minute to tell my dad how much I love him. I hope it doesn't take me 50 years to realize all that I can learn from him!
My dad is the kindest, most gentle person that I know. (and the best daddy ever!)
I have so many wonderful memories that were made as a child because my daddy loved me enough to spend time with me.
One of the best memories is...dad getting out our american flag and carrying it, and then we had these toy musical instraments that we would play and he would carry a tape recorder playing patriotic music as we marched around the neighborhood in our very own parade.
He used to attach our sled to the back of his old volkswagen bug and pull us around the block. (funnest thing EVER)
Neighbor kids used to come and ask if my DAD could play.
My dad is the calmest person I have ever met. Honestly if their house started on fire, I am certain that he would say to my mom, "Dear, we have a problem."
The biggest thing that I have learned from my dad is "Don't sweat the small stuff."
What I love about my dad is his gentle kindness. Just a few months ago, Layton had just gotten his job with fersenius and I was home alone every night. I spent a lot of time at my parents house because I was so lonely. My dad followed us home everynight and went in side my house to make sure we were all locked in safe (and to check for boogey men, I guess). Every night.
We had camp trips and rafting adventures because that was his priority: Spending time with us. I was a pretty difficult teenager, but I have no memory of ever being yelled at by my dad.

Thanks Dad, I love you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Id agree, your dad is one amazing guy. You lucked out in the Dad department ~Layne