Thursday, March 13, 2008

Why are people mean? (soapbox)

I have noticed a trend lately. For some reason people seem to think that it is enjoyable to be rude, unkind and generally mean. I don't know when this happened exactly, but I do know that I am sick of it. I am sick of teenagers joking around with their friends by saying things like "nerd, dork, or fag." I am sick of people's lack of manners. I was speaking with one of my really good friends today and she related how certain "friends" of hers were making fun of her. She is one of the nicest, kindest people that I know. She said to me "It's ok, they just hurt my feelings." It's not ok though! It made me wonder, "Why would anyone be mean to her?" Then I started to think about why anyone is ever mean to anyone else. Is it jealousy, insecurity, or the fact that they are just a nasty person? It's hard to say.
We need to realize that our culture is becoming a culture of nit-wits. Many americans are too stupid to spell or use proper grammar (I blame text messaging); they are too unrefined to have proper manners; and too rude to treat people kindly.
I made a goal for myself to be a little kinder. We all need to learn to be good friends, parents, children, and even acquaintences. When it comes down to it, how we treat others is all that really matters!

1 comment:

Misty said...

I'd like to make that goal too! Great post!