Monday, July 7, 2008

Random Ramblings

We went to see Kung Fu Panda tonight. It was the first time both Logan and Jonah have been to a movie theater. It was interesting to say the least. It was a little more scary than I expected (Not Lauralee scary...but Logan gripping my arms and Jonah screaming when the music got "intense" scary)Overall it was a cute show...and I love cartoons with a message. The message on this one...(WATCH OUT---->SPOILER!!!)There is no hidden ingredient (ok, maybe you need to watch it!)...things are special because you think they are special. I guess this is pretty deep to take from a cartoon. But it reminded me of how life is what you make of it. Things that you learn are what you mentally are able to take from it in that moment. This is probably what I got from it...because I am in school and struggling with stupid math. I had read the chapter probably 11 times...nothing. Then, as I skimmed today...KA-BAM, all of the sudden, I got it. I had been going about the equations all wrong. I had just finished another chapter...long story short, I assumed that it was the same type of deal...when it definately wasn't. I think a lot of times, if we cleared out all of our preconcieved notions, we could learn a whole lot more...not only about ourselves, but about the world around us. I think so often we are concerned about the "I'm right" mentality, we forget to realize that there is something to be learned from everyone. While we were in the movie, a family came in with about 11 children of ranging ages. They were of various ethnic background. The dad walked with a cane, and two of these children were in wheelchairs. The dad was barely able to walk up the stairs so one of his natural daughters Picked up these boys one by one and carried them up the steps to the top of the movie theater. I am ashamed to admit it, but I was kind of bothered they were sitting behind us..because they kept kicking my seat. I decided that I could sit through the entire movie and be bugged that these boys were kicking the back of my chair, or I could enjoy myself. I didn't really notice the girl or these boys...until after the first of the disabled boys was already seated behind me. (and had already kicked my seat) I don't think I would have noticed the amazing girl behind me if I had continued to be bothered by it. It was when I took a moment to look outside of myself that I realized this boy was having leg spasms. His kicking my chair was completely out of his control. I know I'm guilty of being self-absorbed sometimes, I think that is part of being human...but if we can over-come that, maybe that's what it's all about. I don't know...I'm just rambling at the moment.
On the lighter side of things, I turned in my portfolio for my scholarship application today. All the lady in the scholarship office said was "wow." I'm hoping it's a good wow.

No comments: